Recap: For today’s lesson, my outcome was to teach my students about percent. I had started the lesson with an investigation segment that had got the students thinking about where they see percentages in their everyday lives. This was very engaging and I was very happy with this part of my lesson. After this I had given a 5 minute lesson about what a percent is and the relationships it has with fractions, numbers of 100, and decimals. I had gone in to the lesson knowing they would not get this right away and had planned to do 5 examples together as a class to clear the confusion. Although challenging in the beginning, by the last 2 examples I was able to get them to give me the procedure to write down as well as the right answer. After these examples, I had instructed the students to work through the 5 practice questions on their own. At this time I was able to go around to every student and walk them through the question they were on. There was a lot of questions at this time; however, every student I had helped had given me the impression they were following what I was helping them with. While I do think they did get it then, as soon as they were working individually again they had problems. I had originally planned, at the end of the period, for them to complete 2 percentage questions about their classroom. They did not get to this done as the practice questions took longer than I had thought.
Things I would have changed: There was a few things in my lesson plan that created a lot of problems. For one thing, I had overestimated their prerequisite knowledge- they did not know that fractions were another way of writing division, and they did not know how to use their calculator very well. This was very important for my entire lesson; consequently, making my lesson ineffective for the students. Furthermore, what I would have changed would have been my approach to teaching percentages- I would have focused more on how to get a percent from a fraction by manipulating the denominator to equal 100 instead of using the division method. This method was more parallel to the knowledge they already had and would have provided greater success. Another problematic occurrence was that because they were struggling in the beginning of the lesson, there was more students blurting out at this time. The cooperating teacher had suggested that this was because of their confusion as it had diminished as the lesson continued further.
What I had liked about my lesson: I had felt I had controlled my classroom very well. There was a few times the classroom was getting out of hand or off task and I felt I had gained control over the classroom quickly and efficiently. The majority of time, all students were on task and engaged in the lesson.
What I have learnt: I have learnt the importance of communicating with the cooperating teacher about prerequisite knowledge. I had also learnt efficient methods of classroom management and a great Set activity that was effective in gaining the students’ interests as well as their focus.